- new beginnings
- dealing with new situations
- Why does the first day of school make
us feel nervous and excited?
- Why do you think Sarah was afraid to go
- How did you feel when you realized
Sarah was the teacher?
Compare & Contrast: Use this
Venn Diagram to show how teachers and students get ready for the
first day of school.
- Making Connections -
Model through think-alouds any text-self,
text-text, and text-word connections you had with the story (example:
This reminds me of the first year I began teaching....)
- Questioning -
Questioning Strategy Lesson
- Visualizing - Have students make
a picture in their minds of Mr. trying to get Sarah to go to
- Have students write a letter to Sarah persuading or encouraging
her for the first day of school.
Advice Column: Students write an
advice column that answers the questions "How to Overcome First Day
Jitters". This activity can be turned into a bulletin board.